Thursday, January 27, 2011

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you. ~ Colin Sautar

Prepare yourselves, (imaginary people I invision reading this blog), it’s a LONG one. If you're reading this and you have spent any significant amount of time with me you have probably learned about a few of my, let's just say, "quirks". So, in an effort to get a better handle on some of those "quirks", I’ve started going to counseling. That's right, I am intentionally going to go and talk to a stranger about more than weather and television, crazy, I know. But yes, after several years of avoiding it, some gentle encouragement by a few well meaning peeps and a little voice inside my head... I made an appointment last week and in an even bigger shocker, I actually went! I didn’t “accidentally” get lost on the way to the appointment (which, I totally could have used that excuse, I mean I JUST moved here, I don’t know my way around this place, Jim wouldn’t have been able to question me at all), and I didn’t get a sudden onset of terrible cramps that morning or anything like that. I actually made it to the building, got in the elevator and rode all the way up to the 15th floor and my mind can do A LOT of thinking in 15 floors.



For the first 7 floors I was deciding what floor I should get off on so I could turn around and head home to do something I thought might be a little more enjoyable like floss my teeth. Then the elevator seemed to be slowing and I thought we were going to stop to pick up another passenger which didn’t actually happen but then, naturally, my mind began playing out the many scenarios of what would happen if the doors did open and a seemingly normal looking person loaded on and as soon as the doors shut on the giant, sound proof metal coffin we were riding in, this person went crazy. So as any smart person would do I began planning out my defense strategies and double checking that I had my mace in my purse (of course I did). So after what seemed like several minutes but was actually just several seconds I spent the last 3 floors of my ride reviewing my thoughts during the previous 5 floors and was reminded once again of why I was going to counseling in the first place.



Finally, I made it to the office and an hour later after revealing an introductory amount of my dirty laundry the therapist did not give me the response I was expecting which was "You are crazy. I won't be able to help you. You should probably just leave now.", instead he was very nice and said there were some things we can do to work through my issues and get me to a less crazy place (my words not his :-)). He also said I was a "dream client", which I'm pretty sure is therapist code for "just the right amount of crazy and you pay your bill". So I made another appointment, that I actually plan to keep!



Well, it’s late and I’ve typed enough and those booby traps aren’t gonna set themselves! So I leave you with wise words from a wise man “They climbin’ in yo windows, they snatchin yo people up…” ~ Antoine Dodson (spell check is going to LOVE that last sentence)



Dynell

1 comment: