Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Things I Love - Part 1

I've decided to start sharing with you some of my favorite things. Why am I sharing these things you ask. Because this is my rambling, nonsensical, no rhyme, reason or theme blog and I can. And maybe the three people who read this will also love these things and these new found joys will bring a wee bit of happiness into their lives. Although one of those people is my husband and he already knows this stuff, so no new found joy for him. And I know Sarah will read this and I've probably already babbled on about this to her. So this is for you...other person. You're welcome.

A few years ago during the writers strike when there was no new tv happening and I was shriveling up in the fetal position from the sudden disappearance of my beloved television shows (i.e. my lifeblood) some very awesome, funny people (Joss Whedon, Felicia Day, Nathan Fillion and my forever favorite Neil Patrick Harris) got together and decided to very quickly write and film what is now one of my most favorite things in the whole world and release it free online. It's called Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog (yes, it's a musical).

This is one of those things that I can watch over and over, anytime day or night. I play the soundtrack frequently, it always makes me happy. It is funny and witty and sad and clever and fun and I love it and I think you should too.

It's about a guy named Dr. Horrible (NPH) who desperately wants to be accepted into the Evil League of Evil which is lead by Bad Horse, the Thoroughbred of Sin (he's an actual horse, that's funny). Dr. Horrible is plotting an evil scheme to impresss Bad Horse and he is also madly in love with and trying to impress a girl named Penny who is not evil at all. All the while he's trying to avoid run-in's with his nemesis Captain Hammer (who is a major tool, haha, get it, Captain Hammer, major tool, anyone?)

They released it in three parts, one 15 minute act each week. It was available free online for a while and then it went away. Thankfully it was released on DVD after a bit and then eventually on iTunes and of course I purchased both.

Ideally you would commit to watching the whole thing and then send me a message telling me how much you now love it too. You can find the whole thing on YouTube or you could shell out the $4 or $5 bucks on iTunes and own it so you can enjoy it over and over again as well :-)

But you probably won't do either of those things so here are a couple of my favorite parts (frankly every part is great) from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog. You can at least watch these, right?? Right??

3 comments:

  1. I, also, know you love this. BUT I can't believe that you didn't tie it in with the other thing you love cool 80's kitch

    Bad Horse => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP3CwPLl9Mo

    A Man's Gotta Do => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxJzhy2VQeY&NR=1

    BTW - you're welcome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man Dynell! You've shown this to me before but I'm glad to have the refresher - it looks hilarious! Oh! And that's Wolowitz from Big Bang Theory! (one of my favorites!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niebuhr, you're right, those videos are great!

    Sarah! I hope you're trip was amazing! We may just have to watch this when you're here :-) It's getting closer!!

    ReplyDelete